Internet Master Thesis Awards 2016
The board of the Royal Holland Society of Sciences and Humanities (Koninklijke Hollandsche Maatschappij der Wetenschappen) announces that Google, Brinkhof, SIDN Fonds and Greenhost make four prizes of 2,000 Euros available for the best master theses on an internet-related topic in the following disciplines:
• The Google Award for the best master thesis in the field of Internet & Economics;
• The Brinkhof Award for the best master thesis in the field of Internet & Law;
• The SIDN Fonds Award for the best master thesis in the field of Internet & Social Sciences or Humanities;
• The Greenhost Award for the best master thesis in the field of Internet and Technical Sciences.
With these awards, the initiators aim to increase the interest in this particular research areas, and more broadly to promote the social and scientific debate about the impact of internet technology.
The thesis awards are intended for master students who have graduated in the calendar year 2016 or 2017 (no later than January 31, 2017) at a Dutch institution for scientific education.
Theses can be submitted digitally by the thesis supervisor or by the student
An application must contain:
– The candidate’s personal information (including email address and phone number.)
– The name of the university, the graduation discipline and date of graduation;
– A letter of recommendation from the thesis supervisor (optional);
– A grade list proving the thesis grade;
– The master thesis in digital form, preferably as a searchable PDF file;
The closing date for entries is February 1, 2017.
Assessment of the theses and awarding of the prizes are entrusted to juries appointed by the KHMW. The theses will be judged on the social relevance of the subject, the clear formulation of the problem and conclusions, the quality and depth of the analysis, accuracy, readability, clarity and originality.
The winners are invited to personally receive their award at a meeting in the spring of 2017 in the Hodshon House in Haarlem, and to give a presentation on their thesis research at this meeting. Based on the quality and originality of this presentation and the social impact of the subject, the audience decides which of the four winners will receive an additional audience award of 500 Euro.
For or additional information please contact the secretariat of the KHMW
About the initiators:
Google is a global leader in technology and focuses on improving the way people connect with information. Google’s innovations in searching and advertising on the internet has made Google’s website an essential part of the Internet. The Google brand is one of the most famous in the world.
Brinkhof is an Amsterdam based law firm specializing in technology, communications and market regulation.
SIDN Fonds represents a strong internet for everyone. SIDN fonds is an independent fund established in 2014 on the initiative of SIDN (Foundation for Internet Domain Registration in the Netherlands).
Greenhost is an internet service provider that controls and maintains its own network, and is known in the ‘circumvention technology’ and the human rights network. Green Host develops and supports multiple projects aimed at protecting digital rights and privacy.
The Internet Thesis Awards are made available in 2016 for the second time and are a follow-up to the economic Internet Impact Price of Google and to the judicial Internet Thesis Award organized by Brinkhof with XS4ALL since 2006.